If you’re pregnant and looking at delivery options in Hampton Roads, Sentara Hospital System is going to come up in your search. Specifically, Leigh’s Family Maternity Center is exceptional and known for it’s LDRP suites where families remain comfortable in one room throughout their hospital stay. Mothers who have delivered there have even described the experience as similar to staying at a hotel!
Here’s some more information on their classes, birthing suites, and philosophy.
As quoted from their website, “At Sentara, we know a successful childbirth begins long before labor and delivery. That’s why we offer comprehensive maternity care and support, every step of the way.
We are proud to welcome more than 9,000 babies into the world every year, giving us the opportunity to help many women through the childbirth journey. Our board-certified physicians and highly-skilled nurses are dedicated to providing quality care for you and your newborn.”
Leigh’s Family Maternity Center was even recognized as the Recipient of Patient’s Choice Award for Customer Service 2012 and 2013!
Private birthing suites are provided and sleeper sofas are included for family members to rest. Most rooms have a private bathroom and shower, although tubs are not available (excepting the Williamsburg location).
In LDRP rooms, you stay in the same room from the time you arrive until you go home. This is a convenient and comfortable option, and Sentara is currently the only hospital in the area to provide these rooms to every family.
Here’s some more info about what you can expect during your stay!
Support from Certified Lactation Specialists is provided for assistance with the first nursing session. There are also breastfeeding support groups in some locations, such as Obici Breastfeeding Support Group.
Breastfeeding classes are also available for prenatal education. Here’s some information about what’s covered during classes!
This class is geared toward expectant mothers. It includes a discussion about human milk, practice of positioning infants for feeding, challenges facing new breastfeeding families, healthy lifestyle choices while breastfeeding, as well as nutrition, birth control and compatible medications during lactation. Partners are strongly encouraged to attend class with mothers-to-be!
Areas of Speciality
- 24/7 anesthesia and neonatal in-house coverage, including a seamless transfer process for our patients who need a higher level of care.
- 14-bed neonatal intensive care unit (NICU), providing specialized care in partnership with Children’s National Health System neonatologists and neonatal nurse practitioners.
- “Skin to Skin” contact, if desired, for at least the first hour of life to help calm the newborn, aid in regulating body temperature, facilitate breastfeeding and promote bonding.
- State-of-the-art infant security system for the safety of your newborn.
- Care coordination provided with discharge to help you transition to home with a post discharge follow-up phone call by a lactation consultant for our breastfeeding mothers.
- Doulas are welcome and accommodated as a member of your birth team.
- A Celebration meal for the new mother is included in your stay! Don’t forget to ask for it before you are planning to be discharged.
Arrange a Tour
You can also register for classes online, such as a 4 week childbirth series, express childbirth class, breastfeeding basics, rookie dads, and more.
- Sentara Leigh Hospital
- Sentara Norfolk General Hospital
- Sentara Obici Hospital
- Sentara Princess Anne Hospital
- Sentara Williamsburg Regional Medical Center